Drs. Holly, Curtis, Iwase and Shah may recommend IV sedation for very young or anxious patients or patients whose special needs make conscious sedation unsuitable. IV sedation creates a state of deep relaxation for patients. Your child will be monitored at all times by an anesthesiologist while our pediatric dentists perform dental treatment.
Prior to your child’s IV sedation appointment, we ask that you:
- Notify our dentists of any changes in your child’s health and any existing medical conditions. Reschedule the appointment if your child has an ear infection, cold, or fever. Please contact our office if your child becomes ill so that we can postpone treatment if necessary.
- Tell our dentists about any medications your child is on, any previous drug reactions, or changes in their medical history
- Dress your child in comfortable, loose clothing, as they will be lying down for a while
- Take your child to the restroom before arrival
- Avoid giving your child milk or solid food after midnight the night before and clear liquids only, such as water and apple juice, up to six hours before their appointment
- As the legal guardian, stay at our office until the completion of the procedure
- Bring along your child’s asthma inhaler
- Do not feed your child greasy, fatty, or fried foods or else they may vomit
After the sedation appointment, please:
- Monitor your child closely, as they will be very drowsy
- Have your child sleep one their side with their chin up
- Wake your child every hour for a drink to reduce dehydration. Begin with small sips of clear liquids for nausea
- Ensure that your child’s first meal after the appointment is light and easy to digest
Please contact Children's Dentistry of North Dallas at 214-378-8868 if you are concerned about your child receiving IV sedation in Dallas, Texas, or have any questions about the procedure.